Dr. Jesse M. Medina attended the University of Puerto Rico for his undergraduate Bachelor in biology, and graduated magna cum laude in 1985. After obtaining his bachelor’s degree, he earned his Doctorate of Dental Medicine in 1989 from the University of Puerto Rico Dental School. He graduated in the top ten percent (5 out of 66) of his class.
He was on the National Dean’s List for all four years in dental school. Dr. Medina received numerous awards for his outstanding clinical performance and professionalism, including:
- Certificates of achievement for academic excellence presented by Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- Certificate of achievement for academic excellence presented by the Chancellor of the Medical Science Campus
- The Quintessence Award presented by the Dental Restorative Clinical Faculty
- The Dr. J.R. Gill Award presented by the clinical faculty in crowns and bridges
- The Ishiyaku Euroamerica Inc./Piccin Medical Books Award presented by the office of the dean
- Elected to the Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Dental Society
Dr. Medina continued his dental education with a general practice residency at the Veterans Administration Hospital in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he received extensive training in the management of patients of trauma, surgery, and oncology. He was an essential member of the hospital staff team who worked hand in hand with outstanding clinicians in the departments of oral and maxillofacial surgery and ear nose and throat.
He practiced general dentistry for nine years before resuming his postgraduate studies in orthodontics at the prestigious Columbia University in New York City, where he earned an advanced certificate in orthodontics in 2000. A researcher in his field, Dr. Medina composed a thesis in the area of dental adhesives. He investigated which ones offer greater bond strengths and resulted in fewer broken appliances during the course of orthodontic treatment.
Dr. Medina is dedicated to his specialty through an ongoing continuing orthodontic and dental education. He believes in always furthering his own knowledge in the latest techniques in orthodontics. His professional affiliations include the American Association of Orthodontists, Southwestern Society of Orthodontists, and Texas Association of Orthodontists.
In his free time, Dr. Medina enjoys being with his wife Nancy and their two daughters Laurie and Carli, who keep him very busy with recreational and church activities.